Group decision making happens when a group of people is faced with a problem that deals with public importance. You need to make a decision as a solution for all of the members.
In a group you need to create a synergy among the members. It is the way where you can explore the ideas wider. Each of the resource that a member has should be devoted to solve the problem. Any advice or suggestion that comes will be a good contribution in creating the solution.
In group decision making, there will be more people involved. You have a chance to earn more ideas and advice as solution. If you can organize and blend it well then the best solution will be your final output. It came from the thought of the members and they will have a strong sense of belonging to the solution.
You will also have more power to implement the decision. Each of the members will feel that they own the solution. They will give their contribution to make it implemented successfully.
In the other hand, a group consists of collection of people who have a different character and wish. It will be hard to unite them to work toward one goal. It needs a strong leadership to organize each of the character and guide them into the right direction.
Moreover, a group has a broader chance to have a conflict. One of the members could be unsatisfied with the decision, out of the group or even worse he may sabotage its implementation.
To get ideas, brainstorm will be a good way to do. All of the members will suggest any idea according to their own ways. Each also gives feedback and shows the lack and the advantage of the suggestion. Organize any ideas that come out and discuss how it will solve the problem.
If you need to make a group decision making, then a few factors below will worth to pay attention to:
- The same vision. Each of the members should have the same vision about what they are going to achieve. Create a specific goal and inform it to all of the members. You should be sure they understand it. The goal will unite the members to work toward one single point and enable them to contribute according to what they are able to.
- Understanding others. This is the time where you should have empathy for what will people say to your suggestion. You must have a different angle in seeing the problem. The other may see your great ideas not good enough to implement.
- Respect the other. Never underestimate one’s opinion even if you think it is bad. If you wish to refuse the ideas, convey your objection politely. Use any logic argumentation to support your explanation and let the other members judge it.
- Responsibility. Each of the members should realize that the decision has to be made as a solution. They should follow each of the decision-making processes seriously so they could get the best solution for their problem.
- Commitment. Each member should commit to implementing whatever solution that has been decided. It is the only way to test whether or not the solution has been right.