Boxing is very popular not only among spectators but also among active people who like to play sports for themselves. This unique fight perfectly develops muscles, trains reactions, coordination of movements, willpower, and endurance. We will analyze the principles and components of amateur boxing training, we will give a suitable training program, we will name the best exercises for those who want to gain fighting muscles and character traits.
1.The main stages of training boxers
Training of an amateur boxer, regardless of the place of training – in the hall or at home, includes five stages:
- technical training with the practice of movements in the ring;
- practice blows on a bag, paws, work in combat;
- muscle development exercises;
- final part.
Warm-up is a mandatory preparation for intense physical exertion of muscles and ligaments to avoid muscle pain and injuries. It includes a sequence of light gymnastic exercises that target all muscle groups from the neck to the ankles.
In a gym or a large hall, some movements can be performed in a circle(running, turning your head, swinging your arms, lifting your knees).
At the second stage:
- combat elements are mastered, then improved and brought to automatism – strikes, dives, slopes, movement around the ring with steps and short jumps;
- development of speed of movements, reaction, dexterity, development of excellent coordination;
- psychological preparation for work in the ring.
Sparring is intended for technical training in “close to combat” conditions. Work on the paws learns to hit hard on a “moving target”. The pear makes it possible to maximize the power of even blows.
The fourth stage – inflating the muscles – is as important as all the previous ones. Strength training of fighters differs from that of bodybuilders, but it is necessary for a boxer to swing because:
- without powerful triceps and without shoulder girdle, there are no strong strokes;
- Strong abdominal muscles are necessary for endurance and the ability to take punches on the body;
- swinging the press, you need to give a load to the long muscles of the back so as not to damage the spine;
- strong legs and buttocks are needed to move around the ring while maintaining endurance and speed.
Training should be completed by walking slowly, slightly shaking your arms to relieve tension from tired muscles.
If you want to train at home to become like the king of the ring in appearance, to develop muscles like a boxing champion, and not bodybuilding, we do not recommend doing only strength exercises for boxers, neglecting the technique. Follow the entire training program of the fighter, strengthening the body and mind.
The first boxing workout and the following certainly include practice:
- good shots;
- various combinations;
- defensive movements – exits, slopes, dives, blocks.
Five strokes that form the basis of boxing:
- Jeb is a simple punch. The elbow is completely extended, the closed fist is turned with the palm down.
- Cross-a direct hit with the Far hand
- Hook-a side blow with a hand bent at the elbow. It is applied only at short or medium distances.
- Swing is a blow to the side with an extended arm in combat from a distance.
- Uppercut-a shot from the bottom up in close combat.
Best combinations of success:
- double punch-left jab, right cross (hereinafter-vice versa for left-handed);
- two strokes left, cross right;
- jab left, swing right;
- uppercut left, right hook;
- right uppercut left hook.
- Start by practicing individual strokes, then add combinations to them, but not before the third week of practice.
An approximate program of technical exercises without sparring partner at the initial stage of training:
- blows of the frontal crutch ( FS) – feet shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent, fists near the chest;
- slopes of your own position (SS) – the weakest leg and arm are advanced, the second protects the jaw, the strong arm is at the chest level;
- SS Cross;
- diving from the SS;
- FS hooks;
- SS blocks;
- uppercuts of FS.
Do each exercise one turn for 3 minutes (if difficult – 2 minutes).
Once you have mastered these basic techniques, continue to train the correct movements and reactions while mastering the movements on the ring (or on another battlefield).
3.Master the movement
The practice of technique and speed of movement is just as necessary in boxing as the training of powerful and sharp strokes, otherwise, instead of a fighter in the ring, there is a dummy, which a quick opponent will beat, not allowing to respond.
So from the first days, even during home training, it is important for a boxer to master:
- walking on the toes back and forth;
- step and jump left and right, jump back;
- on the side in a circle;
- diving outings.
Perform fast movements as long as you can. In the first days and weeks, you will quickly get tired, but over time, speed-strength endurance will increase. Drive laziness and train hard, while getting a significant cardiovascular load, improving the condition of the respiratory and cardiovascular system.
Once you have learned how to move your legs correctly, include the moving training movements in your training program. Learn to knock both forward and backward. Retreating with simultaneous strikes, a boxer overturns the opponent’s attack and even has a chance to crush a counterattack.
To train effectively by doing cardio exercises and simultaneously charging the muscles, circular training helps, which is useful for boxers.
Boxing classes are useless for beginners if you do not pay attention to the development of muscle strength and strength endurance. So, in specially equipped and home gyms, where boxing classes are held, one can often observe circuit training.
Recommended for beginners:
- lifting the body from a position lying on the back;
- slots with legs alternately forward and backward;
- bends forward with dumbbells in hands;
- jump rope;
- side folds with dumbbells by hand.
- All exercises are performed in one approach, then rest for 2-3 minutes and perform in the same sequence. Only 4-5 approaches.
The number of repetitions of each exercise depends on your physical condition, as well as the available dumbbell or other weights. Let’s move on to the device on which boxers often and successfully train.
5.Working on shells
Features of bodybuilding for boxers using bodybuilding equipment:
- perform each exercise with a working weight not exceeding 70% of the maximum weight with which you can perform this movement;
- lift weights at maximum speed, because a boxer must first develop explosive force, and the beauty of muscles and physique will apply;
- do not pump your biceps, it hurts the sharpness and strength of punches, focus on the triceps, shoulder girdle, chest, and upper back.
- bench press (for triceps and chest);
- ground lift (for long back muscles);
- jumping from a squat with a bar on the shoulders (for the legs);
- bench press (for triceps and deltoids);
- leaning on the row (for latissimus dorsi and trapezius);
- splits with a bar on the shoulders;
- the sides bend with weights.
Be sure to add to them 1 to 2 abdominal exercises, you can without shells.
To optimally combine your boxing activities with your gym visits, you can stick to the following schedule:
- the first day-work on appliances in the gym;
- second day-rest;
- the third – boxing;
- fourth-working in the gym;
- the fifth is rest;
- the seventh is rest.
If you train at home and do not depend on the weekly schedule of the gym, a more busy schedule will suit you:
- first day-boxing training;
- the second-work on the shells;
- the third is the rest.
Important! Any exercise performed in a dumbbell simulator, at home you can do with dumbbells.
6.Basic exercises for training boxers
One should not forget about the eight most useful movements that can be performed as a set of exercises for a boxer (remember the warm-up). They develop the required qualities in boxing well.
Running is a key element of training for fans of a healthy lifestyle, but it is also included in boxing exercises, as running training strengthens the body, increases endurance, leg strength, strengthens the heart, blood vessels and ligaments, and develops breathing.
If your physical condition leaves much to be desired, take 3-4 months to run before becoming a boxer at home. We advise you to start with jogging (2-3 kilometers), and then add the sprint to your training program – running at 60 and 100 meters.
Burpee on the one hand
This exercise is a very effective technique for developing the muscles involved in boxing.
If at first, you can not do this, start training without burpee and add it to your training program after improving your physical condition.
Jumping from the lying support
The rules for performing this element of bodybuilding:
- starting position – emphasis on fists;
- pull the right leg to the arm with a jump, return to the IP;
- do the same with your left foot;
- the exercise continues until the last 2-3 repetitions are difficult.
Perform at least 2 approaches, over time, increase their number to 3-4.
This is a versatile boxing exercise. If you do push-ups for a while, performing each hand movement as quickly as possible, the explosive force will increase rapidly.
It is useful to alternate between different techniques. For example, if you place your arms narrower, the load on the triceps will increase, wider-on the muscles of the chest. If you have enough strength, do push-ups with one hand-first with the left, then with the right.
An alternating leg fold
A speed-strength training element of a boxer, useful in simultaneously loading the muscles of the body and all the muscles of the press. It is highly recommended for inclusion in independent training programs.
Oblique abdominal muscles are well loaded. Included in the boxing training plan for beginners, along with the fold, provides the ultimate in abdominal power.
They guarantee a good cardio training, strengthening not only the legs but also the heart. Mandatory for home Boxing.
Note: many boxers prefer to alternate the jump rope on each leg instead of two.
Pistol squats are called squats on one leg, which provides excellent stress to the muscles of the legs. This is an excellent exercise for those who master boxing at home.
Complexes of exercises for boxers for home and gym
We will also offer you complex exercise programs for the physical training of boxers that deserve special attention. They serve the same goal: to develop strength and endurance, helping to increase the power of blows.
7.Training in the gym
The complex, which includes physical exercises for a boxer, performed in the gym, is designed for three strength training sessions per week.
- for legs – slits or squats with a barbell on the shoulders or extension in the simulator;
- for the lower backbends with a bar on the shoulders or raised from the ground;
- And for triceps, deltas and many other muscles ( basic exercise) – bench press in sitting or standing position;
- for medium beams of deltas and trapezoids – swing dumbbells to the sides in a standing position.
- for the upper back, deltas, and traps-pull-ups with a handle on the top wider than the shoulders;
- for triceps and chest-push-ups on asymmetrical bars, bench press with a narrow grip or French press;
- And for the front beams of the deltas-swing dumbbells forward in a standing position;
- for legs-jumping from the squat with weights.
- for legs-jumping on a bench or other hill with weights;
- And for chest and triceps – bench press with a wide grip or lying reproductive dumbbells;
- for the lower back – raised from the ground or hyperextension (lowering of the torso and elevation with a deflection in the back from a face-down position, torso above the floor, legs fixed on the bench);
- for the rear beams of the deltas and the upper back-dumbbells breeding in a slope.
8.Simplified Home program
A home training program involves the use of a small number of shells that do not take up much space in the house and fit well into the interior of the room.
For such a boxing training for beginners it is enough to buy:
- foldable dumbbells;
- a light neck or just a metal rod weighing about 10 kilograms;
- medical ball (medal) weighing 5 to 10 kg;
- boxing gloves and punching bag.
The training program – 3 times a week boxing exercises for the technique and power of impact (with work on a pear) and 3 times a set of strength exercises:
- Medicine Ball Squat. Starting Position: feet shoulder-width apart, a balloon on the chest. Sit down and get up, raising your hands with the ball, or throwing it slightly.
- Push-ups with applause.
- Throw the bar (Rod) away from you.
- Slots with a medicine balloon by hand.
- Dumbbell pump-tilts left and right with right and left arm lift to the armpit.
- Grow honey. bullet with one hand in the wall.
These exercises are also performed according to three approaches each. If physical data allows, you can perform them according to the principle of circuit training.
9.Recommendations for experienced trainers
Authoritative experts give beginners the following tips when designing a custom boxing training program:
- Avoid bending exercises (for biceps), except for Pull-Ups, and even those that are preferable with a wide grip-with the main load on the “wings”.
- Boxing and pumping muscles in the simulator should be performed according to a single schedule and a strict system, correctly combining with each other. Long breaks between workouts are fraught with serious problems with movement, technique, speed, and power of punches.
- Do boxing, not bodybuilding, that is, only on a physical training program for a boxer. Consult boxing coaches, politely refusing the help of fitness instructors.
Develop explosive strength and strength endurance, which serves as home Boxing. Together with a beautiful figure, you will gain dexterity, excellent coordination of movements, power of strokes, excellent breathing, and a cardiovascular system to the envy of “pitching”.